Monday, July 30, 2012

Is exact likeness necessary in art?

Heeeello again,
When I was posting my progress of the last portrait on Instagram, a friend of mine asked me if I could draw her and I kept trying to decide what to do in the back of my mind while I finished.
So I decided to make this my next project and I started gathering some reference photos from her and this is my final result.  

I must admit that the resemblance to the original isn't 100% exact.  I had my doubts about finishing the drawing cause of it but I still did anyways because I thought it would be good practice.
Overall I'm satisfied with the result.

I however ran into several doubts this past week with my art.  I was creating something that didn't receive the amount of praise I was looking for, there I said it. :/  You shouldn't rely on the idea that people should love what you do to continue doing it.  

I had a nice long conversation with a friend of mine from college recently and she knocked some sense into me.  I was so afraid of creating wrong art and not pleasing people and what she told me was that there is no such thing as bad art and that I shouldn't worry about criticism too much.

After all isn't art suppose to be your interpretation of the subject.

I'll end it at that before I ramble too much. O.o
What are your thoughts,
Should exact likeness be necessary in art?

Until next time :)


No comments:

Post a Comment